OpenFOAM is leading software for computational fluid dynamics (CFD). It is licensed free and open source only under the GNU General Public Licence (GPL) by the OpenFOAM Foundation.
Unlock the power of OpenFOAM to deliver robust CFD solutions. Essential, Applied, Programming and Cloud OpenFOAM Training courses from the Architects of OpenFOAM.
Our team undertakes OpenFOAM Development projects and code customisation, with experience of managing and executing over 100 development projects.
OpenFOAM Support, direct from the founders and architect of OpenFOAM, covering software deployment and operation, CFD practice, and code customisation.
The leading open source CFD software
CFD Direct From the Cloud™ (CFDDFC) is a Marketplace Product for AWS EC2, that provides a complete platform with OpenFOAM and supporting software running on Ubuntu Linux. It enables simple, fast creation of a cluster of instances to run CFD with OpenFOAM. We tested Amazon EC2 C5n instances, launched in November 2018, on 2 cases of steady-state, external aerodynamics around a car and transient simulation of water flowing over a weir. With meshes of 50-100 million cells, results showed 70%-90% scaling at 504 cores. The cost of the simulations was in the order of $100, compared to $100,000+ to purchase on-premises hardware and licences of proprietary software.
OpenFOAM provides leading CFD software to thousands of people within academia and industry for free. However, CFD is inherently complex and competency in CFD requires more than simply “learning the software package”. Our 4 OpenFOAM Training courses build CFD competency through a process of solution design with course prices equivalent to 1-2 weeks of payroll cost of a CFD engineer or 2% of a single core, commercial CFD licence. Our schedule includes classroom courses in UK, Germany and USA, with Live Virtual attendance worldwide, and on-site training for groups of 5 or more.
In Spring 2019, CFD Direct is running its OpenFOAM Training courses — Essential CFD, Applied CFD, Programming CFD and Cloud CFD — fully updated with the latest features of the new version 6 release of OpenFOAM. Essential and Applied CFD courses are available — with some remote places for remote attendance — on: 4-7 Feb, London UK; 25-28 Feb, Houston USA; 20-23 May, Cologne Germany; 13-16 Jun, Denver USA. Programming CFD is available 29-31 Jan and 12-14 Mar as Virtual Training.
OpenFOAM sustainability involves developing software that meets critical needs of users, through a balance of resources, technology, investment and institutional support. The critical needs are availability, usability, robustness and extensibility. The critical work required to meet those needs are publishing, repair and redesign. Employers rarely allocate time to individuals to contribute critical work, so it is generally left to “career maintainers” at CFD Direct. With limited funding, decisions about the critical work are made by those who fund and/or contribute the work, via The OpenFOAM Hub.
Latest News on Twitter
- Accelerate your learning of #OpenFOAM with hands-on, Classroom Training, led by a recognised expert. https://t.co/4G9EtzIFBKyesterday
- RT @CFDFoundation: More organisations are supporting #OpenFOAM, with VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd @VTTFinland becoming the…yesterday
- A #free video for quick, simple deployment of #OpenFOAM v5 in the cloud, on @awscloud #cloud with CFDDDFC Command L… https://t.co/cGCYu7389Myesterday
- Increase complexity of your #OpenFOAM simulations with #Applied #CFD Training from the Architects of OpenFOAM: https://t.co/q7FvMWDZ6x2 days ago
- CFD Direct From the Cloud™ provides simple cluster formation for #OpenFOAM #CFD on @awscloud. With C5n instances,… https://t.co/48M99c4oJ62 days ago
- Learn from experts to write quality, C++ code in #OpenFOAM with our acclaimed virtual #Programming #CFD course,… https://t.co/gfiwGGyY3Q2 days ago
- Don't miss out! Book now for our #OpenFOAM Essential and Applied #CFD Training, #Denver, 10-13 Jun 2019. Discount p… https://t.co/wkuHL4DHWJ3 days ago
- Build competency in #freesoftware #CFD with our extensive #OpenFOAM Training - better than renewing licences: https://t.co/L6zUwG9jhC3 days ago
- New pack (20190415) of #OpenFOAM-dev for @ubuntu installable on Windows 10, with Docker images for @Linux, macOS: https://t.co/kzRiGZU6Aq4 days ago
- Competency in CFD requires more than simply “learning the software package”. It requires learning effective #CFD… https://t.co/9R6hC3wnsi8 days ago