Our mission is to make computational fluid dynamics (CFD) accessible and inclusive by developing free, open source CFD software — OpenFOAM — and providing services to its users.
Unlock the power of OpenFOAM to deliver robust CFD solutions. Essential, Applied, Programming and Cloud OpenFOAM Training courses from the Architects of OpenFOAM.
Our team undertakes OpenFOAM Development projects and code customisation, with experience of managing and executing over 100 development projects.
OpenFOAM Support, direct from the founders and architect of OpenFOAM, covering software deployment and operation, CFD practice, and code customisation.
The leading open source CFD software
In Spring/Summer 2021, CFD Direct is running its OpenFOAM Training courses — Essential CFD, Applied CFD and Programming CFD — fully updated with the latest features of the new version 8 release of OpenFOAM. The training uses new features in OpenFOAM v8 for more productive and effective CFD. All courses are delivered as live virtual training due to Covid-19 travel restrictions in 2021. Essential and Applied CFD courses are available: 1-5 Feb, 15-19 Mar, 26-30 Apr. Programming CFD is available 26-28 Jan, 23-25 Feb, 23-25 Mar, 18-20 May.
In 2020, CFD Direct were tasked to develop multicomponent diffusion modelling in OpenFOAM with funding from the Process Engineering Consortium. The Consortium need models, e.g. Maxwell-Stefan, that represent complex diffusion of species in fluid mixtures, affecting both specie concentration and energy. As part of the work, we created a new ThermophysicalTransportModels library with a new interfaces for: fluxes of heat, q() and divq(); and fluxes of mass, j() and divj(). As a consequence, heat transfer became consistent across applications, boundary conditions and data processing. This critical code redesign is typical of our strategy for sustainable development of OpenFOAM, supported by dedicated maintenance funding from OpenFOAM supporters.
CFD Direct is pleased to announce the release of version 8 of CFD Direct From the Cloud™ (CFDDFC®) for Microsoft Azure. Available from the Azure Marketplace, CFDDFC v8 includes OpenFOAM v8, ParaView v5.6.0, OpenMPI v2.1.1 and FreeCAD v0.18.3, running on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Users can launch pay-as-you-go VMs from the image in minutes and connect via remote desktop or terminal login using SSH. Azure offers a wide range of VM types including the compute-optimised F-series with up to 36 physical cores (F72sv2) and the high performance computing H-series.
CFD Direct is pleased to announce the release of version 8 of CFD Direct From the Cloud™ (CFDDFC®), available on Amazon Web Services (AWS) Marketplace as the standard CFDDFC product and CFDDFC (Arm). Standard CFDDFC v8 includes OpenFOAM v8, ParaView v5.6.0, OpenMPI v3.1.4 and FreeCAD v0.18.3, running on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. CFDDFC (Arm) is server-only including OpenFOAM v8 and OpenMPI v4.0.3, running on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. CFDDFC runs on single instances with up to 48 C5 Intel cores (c5.24xlarge) or 64 C6 Arm-based cores (c6g.16xlarge) and in clusters with with good parallel scaling on clusters of instances up to 1000 cores.
Latest News on Twitter
- Be more productive with #OpenFOAM #CFD with useful commands in our free #Linux Guide for OpenFOAM: https://t.co/awXjcSDOty2 days ago
- Maintenance on #OpenFOAM-dev replaces specialised table lookups with Function2 https://t.co/JrkRTq4LjK2 days ago
- Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest #OpenFOAM developments, releases, documentation, videos, cloud, training: https://t.co/NNgKuT66sD3 days ago
- New Function2 for input data which is a function of 2 variables with complex functions and interpolated tabulated d… https://t.co/IMTFlXDNTO3 days ago
- Book now for our #OpenFOAM Essential and Applied #CFD Training, from the recognised experts who produce #OpenFOAM,… https://t.co/1Juw6iSF4T4 days ago
- Book now for our #OpenFOAM Programming #CFD Training, from the recognised experts who produce #OpenFOAM, #Virtual A… https://t.co/nnxlyCFE014 days ago
- Improved VTK output for files with points only, e.g. for particles in #OpenFOAM-dev https://t.co/jWlFpuOwE44 days ago
- Fund the core maintenance team with the proven experience, ability and commitment to redesign #OpenFOAM for the fu… https://t.co/8jHRPf8Rw55 days ago
- The #official User Guide for #OpenFOAM v8 is freely available online in easy-to-read format. Bookmark the page: https://t.co/2f9hMHeSLR9 days ago
- Complex #CFD applications in #OpenFOAM require more advanced tools, described on our #Applied CFD Training: https://t.co/q7FvMWDZ6x9 days ago