Our mission is to make computational fluid dynamics (CFD) accessible and inclusive by developing free, open source CFD software — OpenFOAM — and providing services to its users.
Unlock the power of OpenFOAM to deliver robust CFD solutions. Essential, Applied, Programming and Cloud OpenFOAM Training courses from the Architects of OpenFOAM.
Our team undertakes OpenFOAM Development projects and code customisation, with experience of managing and executing over 100 development projects.
OpenFOAM Support, direct from the founders and architect of OpenFOAM, covering software deployment and operation, CFD practice, and code customisation.
The leading open source CFD software
In Year 7 of CFD Direct, our developments of OpenFOAM included a generalised load balancer for parallel running . We provided core maintenance, including standardisation of fluid properties, and repaired issues, e.g. to stablise multiphase simulations. We managed the OpenFOAM Foundation, releasing OpenFOAM v9, packaging OpenFOAM-dev and publishing websites and documentation. We produced our book , “Notes on Computational Fluid Dynamics: General Principles”, delivered 56 days of Live Virtual OpenFOAM Training, and provided cloud CFD with CFDDFC® to over 1000 subscribers.
CFD Direct is delighted to announce its publication of a book Notes on Computational Fluid Dynamics: General Principles. The book is written for people who use CFD in their work, research or study, providing essential knowledge to perform CFD analysis with confidence. It offers a modern perspective on CFD with the finite volume method, as implemented in OpenFOAM and other popular general-purpose CFD software. Fluid dynamics, turbulence (and RAS modelling) and boundary conditions are presented alongside the numerical methods and algorithms in a series of short, digestible notes.
In Spring/Summer 2022, CFD Direct is running its OpenFOAM Training courses — Essential CFD, Applied CFD and Programming CFD — fully updated with the latest features of the new version 9 release of OpenFOAM. The training uses new features in OpenFOAM v9 for more productive and effective CFD. All courses are delivered as live virtual training. Essential and Applied CFD courses are available: 7-11 Feb, 14-18 Mar, 9-13 May, 6-10 Jun. Programming CFD is available 25-27 Jan, 22-24 Feb, 29-31 Mar, 23-25 May, 21-23 Jun.
CFD Direct From the Cloud (CFDDFC®) is our established platform for running OpenFOAM, ParaView and supporting software using cloud computing. CFDDFC is now available on AWS C6i and M6i instances of Elastic Cloud Compute (EC2). These instances use the 32-core 2.9 GHz (3.5 GHz with turbo-boost) Intel Xeon Platinum 8375C (Ice Lake) processor. With 2 processors per socket, the largest single instances, c6i.32xlarge and m6i.32xlarge, includes 64 cores. C6i and M6i instances run at up to 50 Gbps of network speed at the largest instance size, which also supports Elastic Fabric Adapter to provide high speed networking across a cluster of instances.
Latest News on Twitter
- Another BIG #OpenFOAM announcement tomorrow. Another drum roll please... https://t.co/tKzSQE5Wjnabout 1 hour ago
- The #official User Guide for #OpenFOAM v9 is freely available online in easy-to-read format. Bookmark the page: https://t.co/2f9hMHeSLR9 hours ago
- Our #OpenFOAM Training accelerates CFD learning using our code contributions which improve usability: https://t.co/KQoUmcMdhT5 days ago
- Day 1 of #Applied #CFD Training Course, #Virtual Europe, using the features we added since v4 to simplify use of… https://t.co/jwvNEUurJa6 days ago
- Learn from experts to write quality, C++ code in #OpenFOAM with our acclaimed #Programming #CFD course, #Virtual Am… https://t.co/oD7WhbuY7X7 days ago
- Added a function to calculate the patch surface flux to simplify and improve the efficiency of moving wall boundary… https://t.co/TLmh9ZyjCQ7 days ago
- Get started with #OpenFOAM v9 in the cloud, simple deployment on @awscloud #cloud with CFDDFC® Command Line Interfa… https://t.co/2y6J1KUAtk7 days ago
- CFD Direct is 7 years old. We maintain, develop and release #OpenFOAM on behalf of @CFDFoundation for the benefit o… https://t.co/OnmR6j2WNl8 days ago
- Day 1 of #Essential #CFD Training Course, #Virtual Europe, using the latest version of #OpenFOAM (v9). https://t.co/f0R4W1C0Rf8 days ago
- Competency in CFD requires more than simply “learning the software package”. It requires learning effective #CFD… https://t.co/Kc7PUpNqt712 days ago