Our mission is to make computational fluid dynamics (CFD) accessible and inclusive by developing free, open source CFD software — OpenFOAM — and providing services to its users.
Unlock the power of OpenFOAM to deliver robust CFD solutions. Essential, Applied, Programming and Cloud OpenFOAM Training courses from the Architects of OpenFOAM.
Our team undertakes OpenFOAM Development projects and code customisation, with experience of managing and executing over 100 development projects.
OpenFOAM Support, direct from the founders and architect of OpenFOAM, covering software deployment and operation, CFD practice, and code customisation.
The leading open source CFD software
In Spring 2020, CFD Direct is running its OpenFOAM Training courses — Essential CFD, Applied CFD, and Programming CFD — fully updated with the latest features of the new version 7 release of OpenFOAM. Essential and Applied CFD courses are available — with some remote places for remote attendance — on: 3-6 Feb, London UK; 24-27 Feb, Houston USA; 11-14 May, Cologne Germany; 15-18 Jun, Denver USA. Programming CFD is available as Virtual Training on 28-30 Jan and 17-19 Mar and in Denver on 11-12 Jun.
CFD Direct is pleased to announce the release of version 7.0 of CFD Direct From the Cloud™ (CFDDFC), the leading marketplace product for CFD on Amazon Web Services. CFDDFC v7.0 includes OpenFOAM v7, ParaView v5.6.0, OpenMPI v3.1.4 and FreeCAD v0.18.3, running on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. CFDDFC v7.0 supports Elastic Network Adapter and Elastic Fabric Adapter which provide higher network performance on C5n instances. This delivers good parallel scaling performance on clusters of instances up to 1000 cores. The command line interface includes new options from simple launch of clusters and monitoring of costs.
OpenFOAM provides leading CFD software to thousands of people within academia and industry for free. However, CFD is inherently complex and competency in CFD requires more than simply “learning the software package”. Our 4 OpenFOAM Training courses build CFD competency through a process of solution design with course prices equivalent to 1-2 weeks of payroll cost of a CFD engineer or 2% of a single core, commercial CFD licence. Our schedule includes classroom courses in UK, Germany and USA, with Live Virtual attendance worldwide, and on-site training for groups of 5 or more.
In November 2018, Amazon Web Services (AWS) announed Elastic Fabric Adapter, a network interface for HPC applications running on EC2. We previewed the EFA technology, running benchmark CFD simulations with OpenFOAM, presented previously: (1) strong scaling – 97 m total cells, external aerodynamics around a car; (2) weak scaling – 100 k cells per core, flow over a weir. At 1008 cores, EFA delivered linear scaling in the strong scaling test and ~70% scaling in the weak scaling test. With linear strong scaling, EFA enables faster solutions for the same cost simply by running on more cores. The combination of open source software, C5n instances and EFA provides impressive HPC, at a price accessible to all.
Latest News on Twitter
- Advance your career with #OpenFOAM Training #Houston, #CFD, 24-27 Feb 2020, from the primary developers. Book now: https://t.co/miyMlWImRJ4 hours ago
- In reactingEulerFoam, improving implicit handling of pPrime in the phase equation for better performance on packed… https://t.co/GrBbGzszIr7 hours ago
- Build effective #OpenFOAM simulations quickly with our #Essential #CFD Training from the Architects of OpenFOAM: https://t.co/EWH0HzPCly11 hours ago
- How to reduce the cost of running #OpenFOAM CFD with CFD Direct From the Cloud™ using spot pricing on @awscloud: https://t.co/xhcUUC2i00yesterday
- Corrected turbulent dispersion models for multiphase flows in #OpenFOAM-dev with @HZDR_Dresden and @VTTFinland https://t.co/dlvLNmfRsTyesterday
- Schedule and book your #OpenFOAM Training 2020, #London, #Houston, #Cologne, #Denver, #Virtual time zones: https://t.co/FeiM7Yvm7uyesterday
- New pack (20191109) of #OpenFOAM-dev for @ubuntu installable on Windows 10, with Docker images for @Linux macOS. https://t.co/kzRiGZU6Aq2 days ago
- Competency in CFD requires more than simply “learning the software package”. It requires learning effective #CFD… https://t.co/1m5ReuxY2C6 days ago
- New Gunn heat transfer model for fluidized bed simulations in #OpenFOAM-dev from Alberto Passalaqua https://t.co/grG3ZYwg4g6 days ago
- New comfort function object for thermal comfort quantities based on DIN ISO EN 7730:2005 in #OpenFOAM-dev with… https://t.co/U6iEWJvREY7 days ago