OpenFOAM is leading software for computational fluid dynamics (CFD). It is licensed free and open source only under the GNU General Public Licence (GPL) by the OpenFOAM Foundation.
Unlock the power of OpenFOAM to deliver robust CFD solutions. Essential, Applied and Programming OpenFOAM Training courses from the Architects of OpenFOAM.
Our team undertakes OpenFOAM Development projects and code customisation, with experience of managing and executing over 100 development projects.
OpenFOAM Support, direct from the founders and architect of OpenFOAM, covering software deployment and operation, CFD practice, and code customisation.
The leading open source CFD software
CFD Direct From the Cloud (CFDDFC) is our established platform for running OpenFOAM, ParaView and supporting software using cloud computing. We are pleased to announce the release of our CFDDFC command line interface (CLI) for quick, simple, deployment of OpenFOAM CFD workloads with CFDDFC on Amazon EC2. The CLI is a simple shell script named “cfddfc” that users can follow a few short short steps to get running. It uses EC2 Spot Instances by default, and provides cost estimates for data transfer to help users run workloads at lowest cost.
In May 2017, we implemented water wave modelling into the public, development line of OpenFOAM (OpenFOAM-dev), to simulate flow conditions experienced in marine and offshore engineering, e.g. on a ship in open water. The initial implementation includes the first order Airy wave and the second order Stokes wave (Stokes II), a second-order accurate utility to apply waves for case initialisation to the entire domain. A verticalDamping source (fvOption) provides wave damping towards outlet regions and an interfaceHeight function object processes interface elevation at specified locations.
In April 2017, we added barycentric tracking into the public, development line of OpenFOAM (OpenFOAM-dev), as a complete replacement to the tracking algorithm that existed in OpenFOAM for over 10 years. Barycentric tracking works on any decomposed tet mesh, irrespective of mesh quality, including poor quality, flat and inverted tetrahedra. The new development was funded from the €100 k for OpenFOAM maintenance, raised through the OpenFOAM Foundation in 2017, in which “particles and tracking” was identified as an area in OpenFOAM “requiring significant code refactoring and/or rewriting”.
At the end of Year 2 of CFD Direct, we summarise our principal activities as the primary contributor to OpenFOAM. We developed new functionality, producing OpenFOAM v4.0 and v4.1, maintaining the OpenFOAM code base, documentation, websites and other infrastructure — where we contributed 1300 man-hours of work in-kind. We delivered 55 days of OpenFOAM Training — Essential, Applied and Programming CFD — as scheduled classroom courses, live virtual training and on-site. We released new versions of our cloud CFD platform, CFD Direct From the Cloud (CFDDFC), and became and Advanced Technology Partner of Amazon Web Services.
Latest News on Twitter
- RT @CFDFoundation: The OpenFOAM Foundation has released #OpenFOAM v5.0. Special thanks to @CFDdirect, Mattijs Janssens and @wyldckat https:…23 hours ago
- Learn to create proper new boundary conditions in #OpenFOAM using the foamNewBC script on the Programming CFD course https://t.co/Xhh17Tr9Uoyesterday
- New pack (20170723) of #OpenFOAM-dev for @ubuntu , Win 10, @Linux , macOS automatically upgrades to ParaView 5.4.0: https://t.co/kzRiGZU6Aq2 days ago
- paraviewopenfoam54 packs (ParaView 5.4.0) available for @ubuntu 14.04, 16.04 and 17.04 using #OpenFOAM-dev: https://t.co/kzRiGZU6Aq2 days ago
- Updated the native OpenFOAM reader module for #ParaView 5.4.0 in #OpenFOAM-dev: https://t.co/NRTjCP3gLk2 days ago
- Added matchedFlowRateOutletVelocity BC which matches flow rate at outlet to corresponding inlet in #OpenFOAM-dev: https://t.co/MVqn83iQFT5 days ago
- Added generalised swirlInletVelocity boundary condition that reads individual velocity components in #OpenFOAM-dev: https://t.co/TOIV4mJU7i5 days ago
- Build effective #OpenFOAM simulations quickly with our #Essential #CFD Training from the Architects of OpenFOAM: https://t.co/EWH0HzPCly6 days ago
- Be more productive with #OpenFOAM #CFD with useful commands in our free #Linux Guide for OpenFOAM: https://t.co/awXjcSDOty7 days ago
- Our #OpenFOAM Training accelerates CFD learning using our code contributions which improve usability: https://t.co/KQoUmcMdhT7 days ago