Our mission is to make computational fluid dynamics (CFD) accessible and inclusive by developing free, open source CFD software — OpenFOAM — and providing services to its users.
Unlock the power of OpenFOAM to deliver robust CFD solutions. Essential, Applied, Programming and Cloud OpenFOAM Training courses from the Architects of OpenFOAM.
Our team undertakes OpenFOAM Development projects and code customisation, with experience of managing and executing over 100 development projects.
OpenFOAM Support, direct from the founders and architect of OpenFOAM, covering software deployment and operation, CFD practice, and code customisation.
The leading open source CFD software
In Year 6 of CFD Direct, our developments of OpenFOAM included new interface capturing methods and multicomponent transport models. We provided core maintenance, including redesign of fvOptions and transport modelling, and repaired issues, e.g. in meshing and conjugate heat transfer. We managed the OpenFOAM Foundation, releasing OpenFOAM v8, packaging OpenFOAM-dev and publishing websites and documentation. During the Covid restrictions, we delivered 67 days of Live Virtual OpenFOAM Training, and provided cloud CFD with CFDDFC® to over 700 subscribers.
CFD Direct Limited has become one of the first approved Amazon Web Services (AWS) Partners to achieve High Performance Computing (HPC) Competency status. This designation recognises that CFD Direct has demonstrated deep experience helping customers optimise their computational fluid dynamics (CFD) workloads on AWS. Using CFD Direct From the Cloud™ (CFDDFC®), engineers and scientists can launch instances, pre-configured with OpenFOAM, in minutes — with up to 48 processors and clusters of 100s of processors.
In Spring/Summer 2021, CFD Direct is running its OpenFOAM Training courses — Essential CFD, Applied CFD and Programming CFD — fully updated with the latest features of the new version 8 release of OpenFOAM. The training uses new features in OpenFOAM v8 for more productive and effective CFD. All courses are delivered as live virtual training due to Covid-19 travel restrictions in 2021. Essential and Applied CFD courses are available: 1-5 Feb, 15-19 Mar, 26-30 Apr. Programming CFD is available 26-28 Jan, 23-25 Feb, 23-25 Mar, 18-20 May.
In 2020, CFD Direct were tasked to develop multicomponent diffusion modelling in OpenFOAM with funding from the Process Engineering Consortium. The Consortium need models, e.g. Maxwell-Stefan, that represent complex diffusion of species in fluid mixtures, affecting both specie concentration and energy. As part of the work, we created a new ThermophysicalTransportModels library with a new interfaces for: fluxes of heat, q() and divq(); and fluxes of mass, j() and divj(). As a consequence, heat transfer became consistent across applications, boundary conditions and data processing. This critical code redesign is typical of our strategy for sustainable development of OpenFOAM, supported by dedicated maintenance funding from OpenFOAM supporters.
Latest News on Twitter
- Book now for our #OpenFOAM Essential and Applied #CFD Training, from the recognised experts who produce #OpenFOAM,… https://t.co/7oCVovZOCN3 days ago
- Improved unityLewis number diffusivity models when solving for internal energy in #OpenFOAM-dev https://t.co/9uEaUzeqDa3 days ago
- Build effective #OpenFOAM simulations quickly with our #Essential #CFD Training from the Architects of OpenFOAM: https://t.co/EWH0HzPCly3 days ago
- How to reduce the cost of running #OpenFOAM CFD with CFD Direct From the Cloud™ (CFDDFC®) using spot pricing on… https://t.co/4IHBWDe2lx4 days ago
- Improved the heat flux calculation due to differential diffusion of fluid species in #OpenFOAM-dev https://t.co/Ne5Murj0FC4 days ago
- See our schedule for upcoming #OpenFOAM live virtual training for 2021. Attend from any location. Discount packages… https://t.co/gOccY1JsiD4 days ago
- Improved discretisation of pressure work term in compressible and reacting flow solvers in #OpenFOAM-dev https://t.co/kdcaNbS2v05 days ago
- CFD is more productive and cost-effective by: (a) launching compute instances with #OpenFOAM in 2 minutes on… https://t.co/hQz4qKEeiU5 days ago
- New pack (20210612) of #OpenFOAM-dev for @ubuntu installable on Windows 10, with Docker images for @Linux and macOS https://t.co/QzGL00sKvg6 days ago
- Learn the tensor mathematics used in #OpenFOAM #CFD with our #free online guide: https://t.co/NUbv51ejkv9 days ago