OpenFOAM is leading software for computational fluid dynamics (CFD). It is licensed free and open source only under the GNU General Public Licence (GPL) by the OpenFOAM Foundation.
Unlock the power of OpenFOAM to deliver robust CFD solutions. Essential, Applied, Programming and Cloud OpenFOAM Training courses from the Architects of OpenFOAM.
Our team undertakes OpenFOAM Development projects and code customisation, with experience of managing and executing over 100 development projects.
OpenFOAM Support, direct from the founders and architect of OpenFOAM, covering software deployment and operation, CFD practice, and code customisation.
The leading open source CFD software
In November 2018, Amazon Web Services (AWS) announed Elastic Fabric Adapter, a network interface for HPC applications running on EC2. We previewed the EFA technology, running benchmark CFD simulations with OpenFOAM, presented previously: (1) strong scaling – 97 m total cells, external aerodynamics around a car; (2) weak scaling – 100 k cells per core, flow over a weir. At 1008 cores, EFA delivered linear scaling in the strong scaling test and ~70% scaling in the weak scaling test. With linear strong scaling, EFA enables faster solutions for the same cost simply by running on more cores. The combination of open source software, C5n instances and EFA provides impressive HPC, at a price accessible to all.
CFD Direct From the Cloud™ (CFDDFC) is a Marketplace Product for AWS EC2, that provides a complete platform with OpenFOAM and supporting software running on Ubuntu Linux. It enables simple, fast creation of a cluster of instances to run CFD with OpenFOAM. We tested Amazon EC2 C5n instances, launched in November 2018, on 2 cases of steady-state, external aerodynamics around a car and transient simulation of water flowing over a weir. With meshes of 50-100 million cells, results showed 70%-90% scaling at 504 cores. The cost of the simulations was in the order of $100, compared to $100,000+ to purchase on-premises hardware and licences of proprietary software.
In Year 4 of CFD Direct, we developed new functionality in OpenFOAM and maintained critical components of the code base, reducing the number of unresolved issues by by 17%. We managed the OpenFOAM Foundation: promoting sustainable development, releasing OpenFOAM v6, packaging OpenFOAM-dev and publishing websites and documentation. We contributed 1383 man-hours of unfunded work in-kind to OpenFOAM, including organising and presenting at the OpenFOAM Open Day. We delivered 60 days of OpenFOAM Training, and provided low-cost cloud CFD with CFD Direct From the Cloud™, running 1.3 million core-hrs.
OpenFOAM provides leading CFD software to thousands of people within academia and industry for free. However, CFD is inherently complex and competency in CFD requires more than simply “learning the software package”. Our 4 OpenFOAM Training courses build CFD competency through a process of solution design with course prices equivalent to 1-2 weeks of payroll cost of a CFD engineer or 2% of a single core, commercial CFD licence. Our schedule includes classroom courses in UK, Germany and USA, with Live Virtual attendance worldwide, and on-site training for groups of 5 or more.
Latest News on Twitter
- New patched version (20190620) of #OpenFOAM v6 for @ubuntu installable on Windows 10, with Docker images for @Linux… https://t.co/CBGIDUvSUq16 hours ago
- See our curriculum and what our customers say about our #Programming #CFD, #OpenFOAM Training course: https://t.co/Xhh17Tr9Uo4 days ago
- Book our #OpenFOAM Training to learn effective case configuration, rather than guesswork... From code producers: https://t.co/FeiM7Yvm7u4 days ago
- We provide #free documentation resources for users of #OpenFOAM including User Guide, Linux Guide and more: https://t.co/2f9hMHeSLR5 days ago
- Updated the nutURoughWallFunction for consistent inputs with nutkRoughWallFunction in #OpenFOAM-dev https://t.co/FDp3cucqyE5 days ago
- Advance your career with #OpenFOAM Training #London, #CFD, 23-26 Sep 2019, from the primary developers. Book now: https://t.co/Z2HeNIXYQb5 days ago
- Book now for our #OpenFOAM Essential and Applied #CFD Training, #Virtual Chicago, 7-10 Oct 2019. Discount packages… https://t.co/FlLACrlasq6 days ago
- Rederived nutkRoughWallFunction for improved stability and range of applicability in #OpenFOAM-dev https://t.co/MPRG7Dvmmx6 days ago
- Join us today at @ISChpc @Supercomputing @awscloud booth G-820 at #ISC19 Frankfurt, Germany to out more about CFD D… https://t.co/CUzei6VO1Q6 days ago
- We will be at @ISChpc @Supercomputing @awscloud booth G-820 at #ISC19 Frankfurt, Germany , 16-20 June 2019 come joi… https://t.co/k5wYW05iQr10 days ago