Our mission is to make computational fluid dynamics (CFD) accessible and inclusive by developing free, open source CFD software — OpenFOAM — and providing services to its users.
Unlock the power of OpenFOAM to deliver robust CFD solutions. Essential, Applied, Programming and Cloud OpenFOAM Training courses from the Architects of OpenFOAM.
Our team undertakes OpenFOAM Development projects and code customisation, with experience of managing and executing over 100 development projects.
OpenFOAM Support, direct from the founders and architect of OpenFOAM, covering software deployment and operation, CFD practice, and code customisation.
The leading open source CFD software
CFD Direct has launched CFDDFC® (Arm), a marketplace product on Amazon Web Services (AWS) for computational fluid dynamics (CFD) with OpenFOAM. CFDDFC (Arm) is a variant of CFD Direct From the Cloud™ for Amazon EC2 instances running Arm-based Graviton2 processors, in particular the C6g instances for compute-intensive workloads. CFDDFC (Arm) operates in server-mode without graphical applications and includes OpenFOAM 7 and OpenMPI 4.0.3 running on Ubuntu Server for Arm 20.04 LTS. For batch CFD jobs with guaranteed access on-demand, users can save 35% on their EC2 costs with C6g instances.
In July 2020, CFD Direct released a framework for surface interpolation in interface capturing for multiphase flows in OpenFOAM. All interpolation schemes, used for flux calculation in advection, operate with the MULES-based solvers, e.g. interFoam. The framework is easy to use, extensible, and robust due to bounded, conservative numerics. The new framework comes with a new family of interpolation schemes based on piecewise-linear interface calculation (PLIC). The PLIC schemes provide a promising alternative to standard interface compression, performing better for meshes with regions of cell refinement. All schemes are conservative, bounded and robust and can run efficiently with large time steps.
During travel and social restrictions, a CFD engineer can be productive by quickly switching to remote CFD using CFD Direct From the Cloud™ (CFDDFC®) and by learning effective CFD. CFDDFC is a turnkey system with OpenFOAM and supporting software running in its native Linux environment on AWS. Engineers can launch remote instances (virtual machines) in 2 minutes providing remote desktop access to 48 core instances and scalable clusters of 100s of cores. At the same time the engineer can learn to be more productive by registering for our Live Virtual OpenFOAM Training, taken from the safety and comfort of their home using the CFDDFC system.
In Year 5 of CFD Direct, we developed new functionality in OpenFOAM and maintained critical components of the code base. We managed the OpenFOAM Foundation: promoting sustainable development, releasing OpenFOAM v7, packaging OpenFOAM-dev and publishing websites and documentation. We delivered 60 days of OpenFOAM Training, and provided low-cost cloud CFD with CFD Direct From the Cloud™ to over 500 subscribers, including custom images to run 100s of automated production simulations.
Latest News on Twitter
- Thank you to all the participants who attended our #Virtual Europe, #OpenFOAM Programming #CFD training this week! https://t.co/sPPGXeVhUw5 hours ago
- Corrected MRF calculation in reactingMultiphaseEulerFoam in #OpenFOAM-dev https://t.co/8BVwihM1G3yesterday
- Book now for our #OpenFOAM Essential and Applied #CFD Training, from the recognised experts who produce #OpenFOAM,… https://t.co/dWkp1AP57iyesterday
- Get started with CFD Direct From the Cloud (CFDDFC®), the complete #cloud platform for #OpenFOAM, pay-as-you-go, on… https://t.co/VZCQx4K3Nayesterday
- Compilation rules added for Arm-based processors in #OpenFOAM-dev https://t.co/aNvGWXkSFu2 days ago
- Fields that are solved for by function objects (e.g., a scalar transport field) can now be included in time/iterati… https://t.co/WnGQHxsvYX3 days ago
- Day 1 of our #Programming #CFD Training Course, #Virtual Europe, using the latest version of #OpenFOAM (v7). https://t.co/iQa149e3iY3 days ago
- New pack (20200705) of #OpenFOAM-dev for @ubuntu installable on Windows 10, with Docker images for @Linux macOS. https://t.co/QzGL00sKvg4 days ago
- Released a new framework for interpolation in interface capturing in #OpenFOAM-dev with new PLIC and MPLIC schemes.… https://t.co/LefV4QDyAg7 days ago
- We design our OpenFOAM Training so that users can be productive with #OpenFOAM: https://t.co/KixhnYo94E8 days ago