Essential CFD | OpenFOAM Training | Course Modules (2.5 days)
Fluid Dynamics/Physical Modelling
- Initial conditions: overview, non-uniform initialisation, custom initialisation, dimensional units
- Boundary conditions: overview, common conditions, entrainment, useful outlets and inlets, time-varying
- Introduction to turbulence: what it is, scales and mixing, Reynolds number, turbulent closure, k-epsilon model
- Turbulence modelling essentials: industry-standard modelling, initialisation, boundary layers, wall functions
Numerical Solution / Computing
- Numerical solution overview: discrete equations, the system directory, matrix solution and convergence
- Parallel running: domain decomposition, running MPI, processing data, collated/uncollated file formats
- Discretization introduction: overview, the fvSchemes directory, example of potentialFoam
- Discretization of diffusion: Laplacian discretisation, non-orthogonal correction, accuracy/stability
- Discretization of advection: upwind and linear-upwind, interpolation, accuracy/boundedness, scheme selection
Geometry and Meshing
- Geometry generation: generating geometry with FreeCAD, triangulated surface export
- Introduction to meshes: meshing strategy, blockMesh quick start, boundary types, patch groups
- snappyHexMesh introduction: surface patching, castellated mesh, surface snapping
- snappyHexMesh enhancements: assessing mesh quality, layer insertion, cell refinement introduction
- snappyHexMesh refinement: tri-surface manipulation, surface refinement, region refinement, more on layers
- Visualization introduction: running ParaView, visualizing geometry, mesh, fields and velocity vectors
- Data formats: OpenFOAM format, tri-surface formats, VTK conversion, other formats
- Graphs and surfaces: quick automated graphs, sampling, customised graph data, cutting planes, patch surfaces
- Objective measures: using probes, force coefficients, residuals, monitoring graphically, other measures
Who Should Attend
- People new to OpenFOAM and/or new to CFD
- Existing users with limited training/education in modern CFD
- Users looking to develop competency in all areas of CFD
- Users looking to simplify OpenFOAM use
- A science/engineering/mathematics background is beneficial
- Familiarity with Linux is an advantage
- Working through the OpenFOAM Linux Guide is strongly encouraged
Competence in CFD with OpenFOAM
- This course has been designed over 6 months, drawing on 2000 hours OpenFOAM training experience.
- It enables competency: the confidence to repeatedly carry out CFD analysis to a defined standard.
- Confidence = not freezing at the keyboard.
- Repeatedly = delivering a good solution, and another…
- Defined standard = understand what a good solution is and delivering solutions in a timely manner.
- It addresses the challenges of CFD analysis through a modular curriculum.
Learning CFD through Experience
- The training involves learning through experience.
- We use representative cases spanning a range of scientific disciplines and industries.
- E.g. car, propeller, exhaust, static mixer, cyclone, electronic components, weir.
- CFD solutions are built in small, digestible steps with periods of reflection to reinforce new concepts.
- This reflects real CFD practice, where trouble-free, complex simulations cannot usually be set up in “one go”.