In Year 3 of CFD Direct, we developed new functionality in OpenFOAM and maintained critical components of the code base, reducing the number of unresolved issues by 45%. We managed the OpenFOAM Foundation: promoting sustainable development, releasing OpenFOAM v5, packaging OpenFOAM-dev and publishing websites and documentation. We delivered 60 days of OpenFOAM Training, introducing our new “hybrid” classroom-virtual courses to host participants in person and remotely. We launched the new Cloud CFD course to teach inexpensive, secure, efficient CFD with CFD Direct From the Cloud™.
CFD Direct is the manager and primary developer of OpenFOAM, on behalf of the OpenFOAM Foundation, the copyright holder and licensor of OpenFOAM. It's Directors include: Henry Weller, the creator of OpenFOAM; and Chris Greenshields, OpenFOAM co-founder — both also Directors of the OpenFOAM Foundation. CFD Direct provides services for OpenFOAM, including the following
- Managing Director, CFD Direct.
- Co-founder/Director OpenFOAM Foundation.
- Created OpenFOAM Training Courses.
- Delivered ~450 days of OpenFOAM Training.
- Author of the http://openfoam.org website.
- Co-founder of OpenFOAM project (2004).
- Author of OpenFOAM User Guide.
- 22 years OpenFOAM experience.
- Mechanical Engineer.
- Operations Director, CFD Direct.
- Operations support, OpenFOAM Foundation.
- Operations manager, OpenFOAM development.
- Managed 330+ OpenFOAM Training Courses.
- Manager, HPC Training.
- 10 years OpenFOAM experience.
- Accounting Technician (MAAT).
Need our OpenFOAM Services?
... or want to help with OpenFOAM?
CFD Direct was founded by the OpenFOAM experts, who share a belief in free, open source software and have a mission to make CFD accessible and inclusive. Through our management and development of OpenFOAM, we are producing software that:
- allows access to the implementation of scientific knowledge;
- allows access for those who could not otherwise afford it;
- encourages collaboration and advancement;
- covers as many CFD applications as possible.
CFD Direct enables delivery of successful, timely CFD analysis by providing services to users of OpenFOAM, including training, code development and support. We are interested in working with others who wish to join our mission and contribute to OpenFOAM.
At the end of Year 2 of CFD Direct, we summarise our principal activities as the primary contributor to OpenFOAM. We developed new functionality, producing OpenFOAM v4.0 and v4.1, maintaining the OpenFOAM code base, documentation, websites and other infrastructure — where we contributed 1300 man-hours of work in-kind. We delivered 55 days of OpenFOAM Training — Essential, Applied and Programming CFD — as scheduled classroom courses, live virtual training and on-site. We released new versions of our cloud CFD platform, CFD Direct From the Cloud (CFDDFC), and became and Advanced Technology Partner of Amazon Web Services.
On 25th March 2015, CFD Direct was launched by Henry Weller (creator of OpenFOAM), Chris Greenshields, and Jenya Collings. At the end of our first year, we summarise our principal activities as the primary contributor to OpenFOAM, producing 3 releases of OpenFOAM, maintaining the OpenFOAM code base, managing the OpenFOAM Foundation, creating a free documentation resource and engaging with the community. We launched 3 training courses — Essential, Applied and Programming CFD — which we deliver as scheduled classroom courses, live virtual training and on-site. We launched CFD Direct From the Cloud (CFDDFC), a complete CFD cloud computing platform using Amazon Web Services EC2.