Get Started with CFD Direct From the Cloud™ on AWS
Complete OpenFOAM cloud computing platform using Amazon Web Services (AWS) EC2
Fully Configured OpenFOAM Cloud Computing Platform
Reliable, Secure Connection
- Connect using public key encryption via SSH or, optionally, a remote desktop.
- Replicates the experience of running OpenFOAM in its native Linux OS.
- Remote desktop runs on Linux, macOS and MS Windows.
Marketplace Product on Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Marketplace product, from an AWS Technology Partner.
- Software is provided pre-configured as an Amazon Machine Image (AMI).
- Users launch an instance of the AMI on Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2).
- EC2 Instances include Compute Optimized and Memory Optimized, currently with 64 CPU cores at the largest size (
- For 12 months, new AWS subscribers can trial CFD using the Free Tier.
- Extremely cost effective when running Spot instances.
Marketplace Product on Microsoft Azure
- Marketplace product, which is Microsoft Azure Certified.
- Software is provided through a pre-configured Virtual Machine (VM) image.
- Users create a virtual machine on Azure.
- Azure VMs include D G and F series, currently with 32 CPU cores at the largest size (
- New users get free credit when opening an Azure account.
Get Started with CFD Direct From the Cloud™ on Azure
Complete OpenFOAM cloud computing platform using Microsoft Azure
Cloud computing replaces large upfront expenses with low, variable payments that only apply to what you use. CFD simulations cover a range of sizes and complexity. Activity is generally interrupted by quiet periods when simulations are halted, e.g. when a simulation ends non-working hours, during analysis of results or preparation of a new simulation, etc. The fluctuating demand makes CFD well suited to a pay-per-use model. Users need to understand the costs involved to get the best value from cloud and be confident that they fall within budget. This article explains the costs, with an example of an external aerodynamics calculation with OpenFOAM using CFD Direct From the Cloud™ (CFDDFC) on Amazon Web Services (AWS).
In 2015, we launched CFD Direct From the Cloud (CFDDFC), a complete OpenFOAM cloud computing platform that includes the latest version of OpenFOAM and supporting software running on Ubuntu. The platform provides OpenFOAM in its native Linux OS, which users can access directly from a terminal or via a remote desktop. CFDDFC is available for Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a product on AWS Marketplace, pre-configured for Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2). CFDDFC is in constant use, on a range of EC2 Instances ranging from the small instance, eligible for Free Tier, to the Compute Optimized instances including the largest with 36 virtual (18 physical) CPUs, and with multiple instances networked as a cluster for larger workloads.