Applied CFD Course Modules
Fluid Dynamics/Physical Modelling
- Transport phenomena: background, nature of molecular diffusion, Prandtl numbers, strain-rate
- Multiphase flows: VOF method and equations, boundedness, interface properties, surface tension
- Rotating frames of reference: Multiple reference frames (MRF), setting MRF regions and controls
- Dynamic meshes: what they are, solid body motion, prescribed motion, automatic refinement
- Arbitrary mesh interface: optimal meshing for rotating geometry, AMI interface, running an AMI simulation
- Compressible/thermal flows: high speed flow, solving for energy, maintaining stability, achieving convergence
- Thermophysical modelling: selecting models, equation of state, thermodynamics, transport, mixtures
- Porous media: meshing for porous media, fvOptions file and model selection, coordinate system
- Particles: Lagrangian functionality, injection, patch interaction, sub-models, visualization
- Scalar Transport: plug-in scalar transport, field initialisation, flow tracer, time accuracy
Geometry and Meshing
- Mesh conversion: conversion tools, extracting surface, re-meshing a poor quality mesh, anisotropic refinement
- snappyHexMesh feature capturing: extracting feature, explicit feature capturing, adjusting features
- snappyHexMesh meshing baffles: baffle geometry, face zones, creating baffles
- Multi-region meshing: geometry for multi-regions, specifying regions, capturing region boundaries
Numerical Solution and Data Analysis
- Transient simulation: Courant number, time discretization, stability and accuracy, under-relaxation
- Pressure-velocity coupling: pressure equation, OpenFOAM-PISO algorithm, SIMPLE, PIMPLE, momentum corrector, stability
- Boundedness and MULES: need for boundedness, principle of MULES, fast solution with implicit MULES
- Animations: ParaView animation, creating videos, animating a VTK sequence, linking frames to properties
Who Should Attend
- Previous attendees of Essential CFD
- OpenFOAM users with experience in modern CFD
- Users looking to extend CFD competency across a broader range of applications
- Users wishing to extend their knowledge of tools in OpenFOAM.
- A science/engineering/mathematics background is beneficial
- Familiarity with Linux is an advantage
- Participation in Essential CFD is recommended (skills are carried over into this course)
Competence in CFD with OpenFOAM
- This course has been designed over 6 months, drawing on 2000 hours OpenFOAM training experience.
- It enables competency: the confidence to repeatedly carry out CFD analysis to a defined standard.
- Confidence = not freezing at the keyboard.
- Repeatedly = delivering a good solution, and another…
- Defined standard = understand what a good solution is and delivering solutions in a timely manner.
- It addresses the challenges of CFD analysis through a modular curriculum.
Learning CFD through Experience
- The training involves learning through experience.
- We use representative cases spanning a range of scientific disciplines and industries.
- E.g. external aerodynamics of a car, propeller, wind flow around buildings, static mixer, nozzle jet, cyclone, water channel.
- CFD solutions are built in small, digestible steps with periods of reflection to reinforce new concepts.
- This reflects real CFD practice, where trouble-free, complex simulations cannot usually be set up in “one go”.