Sign up to Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Create an account with AWS. We recommend reading through the overview of Getting Started with AWS. The account registration requires a credit card whether the free tier is used or not.
- Select Create a Free Account. Enter your email address and login as a new user.
- Enter your contact details and credit card payment information.
- Click Call Me Now to receive an automated telephone call to a telephone number provided.
- Enter the PIN shown on screen during the call to verify your identity.
- Proceed to support plan and select Basic (Free).
Login and setup of key pairs
- Login to the Amazon EC2 console.
- Ensure the region is suitable for (i.e. near to) you, see drop-down menu, top right of the panel.
- From the navigation panel (left) under Network and Security, click Key Pairs.
- Click Create Key Pair, enter a name (suggestion:
ec2) and click Create.
- Save the private key file
ec2.pemwhich is downloaded by your browser. Keep the file in a safe location.
- For Linux and Mac OS X users, a recommended location to save the file is a
.sshdirectory in your home directory. You must also set the permissions on the file so that only you can read it; to do this for an
ec2.pemfile in a
.sshdirectory, type the following in a terminal:
chmod 400 ~/.ssh/ec2.pem
- Further information: Creating Your Key Pair Using Amazon EC2.
Problem with the instructions? Please send a CFDDFC Support Query.