Cloud CFD | OpenFOAM Training | Course Modules (1 day)
- Administration: CFD and the cloud, introduction to AWS, AWS account, access to AWS, identity and access management (IAM), CFD Direct From the Cloud™
- Running instances: Console sign in, AWS regions, security with key pairs, storing private keys, AWS machine images, EC2 instance types, security groups, launching an instance
CFD in the Cloud
- Running CFD: SSH login, running an OpenFOAM case, remote desktop, running ParaView, copying data to local machine, synchronising data between hosts
- Cost Management: 4 main costs of cloud CFD, EC2 instance state, EC2 pricing, spot instance requests, budgets
- Extra Tips: SSH traffic and firewalls, elastic IP addresses, restricting access to regions, upgrades and OpenFOAM-dev
Efficient Use of the Cloud
- Effective CFD: Command line interface (CLI), configuring the CLI, making cloud local, managing instances, running applications, production CFD, hardware configuration, parallel performance
- Data Management: Objective CFD data, plugin post-processing, quick visualisation, transferring data, data transfer costs
- Data Storage: S3 storage, S3 buckets, IAM policy to access a bucket from EC2, enabling S3 access from an instance, automating S3 access, secure pre-signed URLs
Participants on the Cloud CFD course receive an AWS promotional discount code, valued at $50, to use with CFD Direct From the Cloud. See OpenFOAM Training Terms and Conditions.
Who Should Attend
- CFD users exploring cloud deployment
- … to reduce administration overheads
- … to access compute power on demand
- System administrators providing OpenFOAM in the cloud
- Basic experience of OpenFOAM
- Familiarity with Linux is an advantage
- Working through the OpenFOAM Linux Guide is strongly encouraged
Competence in Cloud CFD
- This course draws on 2000 hours OpenFOAM training experience, by…
- Chris Greenshields: OpenFOAM project manager and leading trainer, delivering 400+ days of training.
- Henry Weller: OpenFOAM creator and architect.
- It teaches effective CFD in the cloud, based on: prototype simulations, built on a local machine; production simulations, with larger meshes run on the cloud; packaged simulations that are reliable, cost effective and easy to use again and again.
- We have accelerated the learning process by making AWS cloud use easier to use with a convenient interface.
- Quick to install and test, and configure.
- Easy to use with simple sub-commands, e.g.
- Promotes low cost cloud CFD using EC2 Spot Instances by default.
- Enables efficient, secure storage of results.
Learning Cloud CFD through Experience
- The training involves learning through experience.
- We use representative cases to demonstrate running on the cloud.
- Cloud CFD use is built in small, digestible steps with periods of reflection to reinforce new concepts.
- We explain both use of AWS console and command line interface to build confidence in use of tools.