Autumn 2020 – Winter/Spring 2021
CFD Direct are running their OpenFOAM Training courses, Essential CFD, Applied CFD, and Programming CFD fully updated with the latest features of OpenFOAM v8. Due to travel restrictions from Covid-19, all courses in 2020 and into 2021 are delivered a live virtual training to enable participants to learn effective CFD in a safe environment. The following courses are available:
- 22-24 Sep: Virtual, Americas : Programming CFD.
- 28 Sep – 2 Oct: Virtual, Europe : Essential CFD and Applied CFD.
- 6-8 Oct: Virtual, Europe : Programming CFD.
- 19-23 Oct: Virtual, Americas : Essential CFD and Applied CFD.
- 2-6 Nov: Virtual, Europe : Essential CFD and Applied CFD.
- 26-28 Jan 2021: Virtual, Americas : Programming CFD.
- 1-5 Feb: Virtual, Europe : Essential CFD and Applied CFD.
- 23-25 Feb: Virtual, Europe : Programming CFD.
Effective CFD by Design
We design our OpenFOAM Training so that users can learn effective CFD, giving them the confidence to carry out CFD analysis, repeatedly, to a defined standard in a timely manner. We build competency by teaching how to create CFD solutions through a process of design:
- Prototype – building a representative solution, from a template, rapidly (timely manner).
- Production – refining the solution by an iterative design process, making small changes and testing frequently (confidence).
- Packaging – making the solution reliable, cost effective and easy to use again and again (repeatedly, defined standard).
CFD Direct manages, maintains and develops OpenFOAM. Through the public release of the development version (
OpenFOAM-dev), and the adoption of a sustainable development strategy, we have made OpenFOAM more robust and easier to use. We have included numerous tools for productive CFD so that users waste less time on routine tasks. Our training teaches these tools and is fully updated for latest features in v8:
- Multiphase Flows – interface capturing framework with new scheme selection.
- Transport – momentum models, including non-Newtonian viscosity, turbulence, etc.
- Programming – data lookup, caching and writing temporary fields for code diagnostics.
- Boundary Conditions – understanding of boundary conditions for open boundaries.
- Function Objects – new field objects, residence time, start-up options.
- Case Management – using patchSummary to check the specification of boundary conditions.
- Case Initialisation – “slash” (
/) syntax to access data in input files using macro (
- Meshing – refinement control based on the span between surface features, e.g. for small gaps.